P

PressRoom

A Junior high school teacher in Houston gave her seventh grade student a ''most likely to be a terrorist'' mock award, a day after the Manchester bombing.

The student, Lizeth Villanueva of Lance Cpl. Anthony Aguirre Junior High School to journalists that the award incident happened on Tuesday during her AVID class, which is an advanced college preparatory course. She was shocked when the teacher handed her the “terrorist” mock award.

upload_2017-5-28_7-13-10.png

“I was shocked,” Villanueva said. “'Most likely to be a terrorist,' and she said my name, and she gave me this.” she said.

The awards, including the one Villanueva received, were presented in the form of a certificate and included the teachers signature at the bottom.

upload_2017-5-28_7-13-39.png

Villanueva said her teacher handed out the superlative awards with the disclaimer that “it might hurt student's feelings, but was done in good fun.”

It was not a joke, Villanueva said. “I do not feel comfortable with this... I do not feel comfortable being in the same classroom with the teacher. “

Villanueva's mother, Ena Hernandez said her family and daughter were hurt when the teacher gave Villanueva the award.

Back