Politics 'The North can Survive without Niger Delta Oil; a Liter of Palm oil is N300' -Lamido of Adamawa

A

abujagirl

Alhaji Muhammadu Mustapha, the Lamido of Adamawa and a delegate at the ongoing National Conference on Saturday told the Hausa Service of the British Broadcasting Corporation, BBC, that Northern Nigeria can survive without crude oil from the Niger delta region of the country.

He the over dependence on crude oil on the laziness of Northerners.

The Lamido of Adamawa said, "Just as I have said earlier, these people who come from oil producing states are looking at us (northerners)as if we are beggars and gold diggers, who have nothing to do.

"The non-oil producing states are not cowards. They don’t fear anybody. Everybody is contributing his quota to make Nigeria great. But these people from oil producing states think that if what they want is not given to them, they have been wronged and they would even prefer to stay out of Nigeria.

"Japan and Germany have no oil. But we have lazy people here (in the North). These advanced countries utilised what they were naturally endowed with to develop; they don’t envy each other, they don’t have such thing. Whatever you want in this world, you get it in these countries.

"A litre of palm oil is sold for N300, while one litre of petrol is sold for N97. If not because we are a lazy people and we hold on to agriculture, who knows the quantity of groundnuts and cotton that we can produce in the North?. I am saying this so that our people could wake up from their slumber: they should stand up.

The monarch also stressed the need for delegates to discuss frankly on the challenges confronting the country, rather than politicising issues.

"Since they brought me here (to the National conference), I will tell the truth. I will say the fact anywhere and in front of anybody. It is sad that the people of Nigeria don’t like the truth: once you are saying the truth, they brand you in English; "controversial". Okay, we must say the truth. They brought me here and I will talk because of my people, to protect their integrity and make sure that they get what they suppose to get", he added.

lamido of adamawa.jpg

Back