Politics Tinubu's Men to Dump APC, Revive AD for 2019 Presidency - The Sun

L

LequteMan

The controversy surrounding the feud between APC National Chairman John Odigie Oyegun and National Leader Ahmed Bola Tinubu has taken a new turn as reports have emerged that the political associates of the Jagaban have resolved to leave APC to revive AD for the 2019 presidency.

A report from the Sun said Tinubu’s associates were taken aback that while President Buhari invited Oyegun to the Presidential Villa on Tuesday, he has not made any move to open discussion with Tinubu.

As a result, Tinubu’s camp may have opened discussions with stakeholders of the platform that brought him to power in 1999, the report added.

It said the Ondo state governorship election would be used to test the waters.

When contacted Tinubu’s media aide, Tunde Rahman, didn't confirm or deny the report.

“Who are those making the insinuations? Let them justify what they are saying. I don’t want to react to that!” he said.

Attachments

• Tinubu-and-Buhari.jpg
    Tinubu-and-Buhari.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 4
Dead on arrival nationally but can work locally.

I'm also skeptical but maybe we shouldn't underestimate the power of a rolling stone during snow, sir. That's what PDP did. It'd be a good movie if it actually happened.

The problem: during the presidential race, the margin between PDP and APC in the South West was not that great. It was just big enough. The 'overwhelming support' for APC's Buhari in the north won the day. If you take that out of the equation, on current calculations, AD cannot win anything in the north and the South East.

I share your view and sentiments, @curator.

However, if AD does win Ondo state later in the year (unlikely), and then transforms the state in two years into the envy of all other states (very very unlikely), don't you think they'll be able gather enough dust to contest the presidency in 2019? With a fair chance of winning.

You are assuming free and fair election. If we had any respect of performance, Fashola would be president of Nigeria today. Although I was not a fan of his work, he was head and shoulders above the rest.

Secondly... if anyone thinks Buhari will be removed in 2019 and the North will sit and watch, they are misguided about Nigeria. Even if it is declared the most free and fair elections in the history of democracy around the world.

Last edited:
Nigeria is evolving. It's just a matter of time before we start conducting free and fair elections. Fashola was (is still) an ideal candidate for the presidency but his emergence was choked by party politics, there were bigger fishes in the pond. If he plays his cards well, maybe 2023.

And I'm not of the opinion that AD will most likely win the presidency if they consolidate for 2019, I said they'll only get a shot at it, but keeping an open mind won't hurt.

BTW You sound like a European political analyst, @curator

Last edited by a moderator:
Back