World Tribute to Nelson Mandela from around the world

A

abujagirl

Tributes are still pouring in from all over the world following the demise of Nelson Mandela, South African apartheid hero and world symbol of freedom. Great men and leaders all around the world have taken a break from their tight schedules to honour Africa's fallen hero. Mandela whose last public appearance was at the 2010 World Cup hosted by South Africa hold a dear place in the heart of millions of people all around the world.

Announcing the great Mandiba's death, President Jacob Zuma of South Africa said, "What made Nelson Mandela great was precisely what made him human. We saw in him what we seek in ourselves. Our nation has lost its greatest son".

Desmond Tutu, South Africa's archbishop emeritus said South Africa was "drowned by grief".

On Mandela's death, Barack Obama, President of the United States of America said, "We've lost one of the most influential, courageous and profoundly good human beings that any of us will share time with on this Earth. He no longer belongs to us ;he belongs to the ages".

David Cameron, Britain's Prime Minister said "a great light has gone out in the world".

French President François Hollande said "Nelson Mandela's message will not disappear. It will continue to inspire fighters for freedom, and to give confidence to peoples in the defence of just causes and universal rights".

Bill Clinton, former President of the United of America, tweeted "I will never forget my friend Madiba". Bush said Mandela was one of the great forces for freedom and equality of our time.

Tony Blair, former British Prime Minister said, "Mandela made racism everywhere not just immoral but stupid; something not only to be disagreed with, but to be despised. In its place he put the inalienable right of all humankind to be free and to be equal".

Ban Ki-moon, UN Secretary General described Mandela as a "man of quiet dignity and towering achievement, he was a "giant for justice and a down-to-earth human inspiration".

Benjamin Netanyahu, Israeli Prime Minister, described Mandela was the most honourable figures of our time. "He was the father of his people, a man of vision, a freedom fighter who rejected violence", Netanyahu said.

Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge said "It is extremely sad and tragic news. We are just reminded of what an extraordinary and inspiring man Nelson Mandela was".

Jesse Jackson, American civil rights leader said "Nelson Mandela was a giant of immense and unwavering intellect, courage and moral authority. He chose reconciliation over retaliation. He challenged the course of history".

Angela Merkel, German Chancellor said: "Nelson Mandela's shining example and his political legacy of non-violence and the condemnation of all forms of racism will continue to inspire people around the world for many years to come.

Enrique Pena Nieto, Mexican President on hearing of Mandela's demise said "Humanity has lost a tireless champion of peace, liberty and equality".

Maria Cristina Perceval, Argentina's UN Ambassador called Mandela "a man who gave hope to the entire world."Good men and women, men such as Mandela, resisted and taught us to resist fear,to resist oblivion," she said.

Sports stars have also joined world leaders to mourn Nelson Mandela's demise.

Muhammad Ali, Boxing Legend in a statement through his foundation said ,"What I will remember most about Mr. Mandela is that he was a man whose heart, soul and spirit could not be contained or restrained by racial and economic injustices, metal bars or the burden of hate and revenge".

FIFA President Sepp Blatter said "It is in deep mourning that I pay my respects to an extraordinary person, probably one of the greatest humanists of our time and a dear friend of mine: Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela".

NBA Commissioner David Stern said, "Nelson Mandela was one of the most powerful and inspirational leaders in the world and a great friend of the NBA".

Music stars also took a break to remeber Nelson Mandela.

Pop star, Rihanna took to Instagram to decribe Mandela as "one of the greatest men who's ever lived ... we will never forget the things this man has taught us, and we will never truly comprehend the level of strength that it took for him to endure".

Other music stars who had met with Mandiba during his lifetime shared photos of that encounter.

No doubt, Mandela would be fondly remembered for years to come.

Rest in Peace Tata !

mandela.jpg

Back