Sports UEFA: 'Start Preparing For Europa League' - Conte Fires Shots At Atletico Madrid

M

mrsam

Chelsea manager, Antonio Conte, has expressed confidence ahead of their final Champions League group fixture, telling opponents Atlético Madrid: “You may be in good form, but so are we.”

Atlético have reached the Champions League final twice in the past three seasons and are unbeaten in La Liga, but even victory might not be enough to see them qualify for this year’s knockout stages.

Chelsea beat Atlético 2-1 at the Wanda Metropolitano in September and Conte warned his rival that “playing the Europa League can happen”.

simeone.jpg

“I think Madrid is always a strong team and now I think they are in a good moment of form but is the same for us for sure,” Conte said.

“The game will be open because Atlético Madrid will try to win, but it will be the same for us. The only difference is that the final result for them is too important. We are already qualified.

“I think we must have great respect for Atlético Madrid, the whole team, they are one of the best teams in Spain. Three games ago there was a problem with Griezmann, because he didn’t score. Now he is scoring but Griezmann is a top player. He plays in a great team. If, after tomorrow’s game, they have to play in the Europa League, it can happen. But we must have great respect for the whole team, first of all for his coach.”

Back