US Open: Azarenka and Nadal book places in the last 8

Victoria Azarenka kept alive her hopes of winning the US Open Grand Slam,fighting from a set down to claim victory over Alize Cornet in the third round of the competition.
Cornet gave Azarenka a scare,taking the first set in a tie break 6-7 (2-7) before the second seeded Belarusian rallied round to take the last two sets 6-3 6-2.
“I couldn’t keep my rhythm early in the match,” said Azarenka. “I tried to keep my head down, stay calm and keep playing aggressive.
“I was too passive with my feet early in the match. For sure I’m going to work on that in practice.”
Azarenka will in the quarter-final, come up against former world number one,Ana Ivanovic who defeated Christina McHale 4-6 7-5 6-4.
In the Men’s category,it was another ruthless performance by Rafael Nadal,who is yet to drop a set,seeing off the challenge of Ivan Dodig.
The second seeded Spaniard won in straight sets 6-4 6-3 6-3 and could possibly rekindle his rivalry with Roger Federer in the quarter-final.
There were also wins for David Ferrer and Janko Tipsarevic,who all progressed to the next round of the competition.

Continue reading...

Back