Sports US Open latest: Novak Djokovic & Roger Federer beaten by underdogs Kei Nishikori & Marin Cilic

Kei Nishikori.jpg
Kei Nishikori continued his fairytale run at the US Open Grand Slam,claiming the biggest casualty of them all when he defeated Novak Djokovic in their semifinal game on Saturday.

Djokovic was stunned by Nishikori who secured an impressive 6-4 1-6 7-6 (7-4) 6-3 win.
The Japanese became the first Asian male player to ever qualify for the finals of a Grand Slam tournament,after overcoming the Serb.

Nishikori claimed the first set but looked like he was going to be blown away when Djokovic outclassed him to take the second set.

But that was when the 10th seeded Nishikori showed his dexterity,winning the third set on a tie-break.

However,the Japanese who played two consecutive five-set matches prior to his semi-final game,didn't show any tiredness as he saw off the contest with a good showing in the fourth set.

"It's just an amazing feeling, beating the number one player," said Nishikori.

"I hope it's big news in Japan. I feel the support from Japan. It's 4 o'clock in the morning but I hope a lot of people are watching."

Also,Roger Federer became the other big casualty to be knocked out of the tournament on the same day that Djokovic got eliminated.

With Rafael Nadal and Djokovic not in the way,there was no better way for Federer to land his 18th Grand Slam title than this,but he fluffed it.

Making a comeback from a one-year ban,Marin Cilic served his critics the humble pie after surprisingly making the finals of the US Open tournament.

The Croatian defeated Federer in straight sets 6-3 6-4 6-4,needing just 1hour 45 mins to secure the win.

"It's an amazing day for me. I feel amazing. I think it was the best performance ever in my career. I'm extremely happy to be in my first Grand Slam final" Cilic said on reaching the finals.

The men's finals will see unfamiliar faces in the last decade,Nishikori and Cilic battling for the title.

Photo Credit: Wikipedia

Back