Sports Van Gaal happy to get a win over West Ham

Manchester United manager Louis Van Gaal has praised his players' mentality in their 2-1 victory over West Ham on Saturday.

United had to work very hard of their victory,playing a huge chunk of the game with ten men after Wayne Rooney was sent off for a reckless tackle.

West Ham threw everything but United's makeshift defence held on strongly to secure a valuable win for the host team.

"The win is very important, you can imagine that. We played a very good first half with attractive football. We conceded again a goal from a set play," Van Gaal said.

"But OK, I am very happy that we hold the result until the end because it is very difficult to play against a team who not only have have one more player but who also play a lot of high balls. I am very pleased with the attitude of my players."

However,Van Gaal conceded that Rooney was right sent of in the match: "It was a break out of a set play of ours and he makes a professional foul, I think you can call it like that. I don't think Wayne wanted to do it that way but he did it and you can give a red card."

Van Gaal.jpg

Photo Credit: Wikipedia

Back