Sports Vincent del Bosque calls Diego Costa for Spain's Euro 2016 qualifiers

Vicente Del Bosque has called up Diego Costa to Spain’s Euro 2016 qualifying games against Slovakia and Luxembourg despite fears over his injury concerns.

Chelsea coach Jose Mourinho has claimed that they are managing Costa's hamstring as he could barely play three matches in one week.

Mourinho said that Costa has been doing "almost nothing" in training in recent weeks and indicating that he would prefer for the former Atletico Madrid star not to be called up for Spain.

Yet the Chelsea manager played Costa for the full 90 minutes of the Champions League win at Sporting Lisbon on Tuesday, the first time the 25-year old is playing an entire game in a month.

"If we are bringing Diego Costa it is ok because he is playing every game," Del Bosque said of the striker’s inclusion.

The player himself confirmed after the win over Sporting that he was feeling well and ready to play for his country if called upon.

"I played 90 minutes – it’s clear that I’m ok. I feel better every time and it is up to the manager. I work intensively during the week with the physios because I have had some discomfort for a while."

Full Spain squad: Casillas, De Gea, Casilla, Carvajal, Juanfran, Pique, Albiol, Ramos, Azpilicueta, Alba, Iturraspe, Busquets, Koke, Iniesta, Cazorla, Fabregas, Rodrigo, Pedro, Raul Garcia, Bernat, Diego Costa, Alcacer, David Silva.

Del Bosque - Copy.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back