Metro Visa Lottery Winner, Other Arrested Over Scam Marriage

Would you marry someone LEGALLY or ILLEGALLY just so you could get a US visa

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sandra Chiefe

Two persons have been arrested by the police Special Fraud Unit, Ikoyi, Lagos, for pretending to be married in order to secure a United States visa.

The crime which was perpetrated by Adetokunbo Adejayan and Juliet Adebisi, was brought to the notice of the SFU through a petition by the Assistant Regional Security Officer, United States Consulate General and further investigations by the Police revealed that both of the accused were indeed not joined together in matrimony.

A statement by the SFU Public Relations Officer, Ngozi Isintume-Agu, said, “In this case, the sum of N1.5m was paid by Adebisi and she was purportedly joined in matrimony with Adejayan, who genuinely won an American Visa lottery. Both suspects have made confessional statements that they are not legally married.”

“Their method is to merge a visa lottery winner with a non-winner and package both to US,” said the SFU Public Relations Officer.

Adeyanju, 35, who teaches in a secondary school in Mafoluku, Oshodi, was said to have won the lottery in May 2012. According to his statement, “It was my brother’s friend who played the lottery for me and he was the same person who called to tell me that I had won. He advised me to get a ‘wife’ before coming to the US. He then introduced me to Segun, assuring me that he (Segun) would help.

The Commissioner of Police in charge of SFU, Mr. Tunde Ogunsakin, said, “It was Segun who booked the appointment for the suspects at the embassy as husband and wife. The fake marriage was arranged last year. Adebisi paid N1m to Segun in June 2012 to process her visa and another N500,000 for passports, medicals and training.

A manhunt has been organised by the Nigerian Police to track down and arrest Segun and his syndicate.

Attachments

• Adejayan-and-Adebisi-360x225.jpg
    Adejayan-and-Adebisi-360x225.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 146
Back