Sports Wayne Rooney optimistic of beating Bobby Charlton's goal-scoring record

Manchester United's Wayne Rooney has expressed optimism that he will surpass Sir Bobby Charlton's all-time goal-scoring record for England "sooner rather than later".

Rooney, who scored one of United's goal against Liverpool in their 3-0 victory over the Reds is only four goals shy of becoming the nation's all-time leading scorer with 50, which will see him eclipse Gary Lineker and Charlton - who are on 48 and 49 respectively.

The 29-year old is currently with the English team who are preparing to host Lithuania in Friday's Euro 2016 Group E qualifier.

"Obviously I am close. It will be a fantastic moment for myself, a proud moment if I can do that," the 29-year-old said, who will earn his 102nd cap for England at Wembley.

"Hopefully one day it will happen and sooner rather than later, I have to keep concentrating on what has got me to this position and try to do my best for the team and hopefully I can get goals along the way."

Rooney and Charlton, who is a director at Manchester United, speak often, but the striker insists the pair do not discuss the England record.

"I speak to him quite regularly at the club especially after games. He's a great for Manchester United and England. I don't want to bring it up and say, 'I'm close to beating it'. He always gives me great advice and I have great chats with him," Rooney said.

"He comes in and speaks about the game. I speak to him about my game, certainly – when I was playing midfield.

"He was an attacking midfielder so he spoke to me a lot about my role there. He knows the game well and he gave me some advice." Goal
rooo.jpg

Back