Sports Wayne Rooney Reacts To His Goal Against Liverpool At Anfield

Wayne Rooney has expressed excitement after volleying home in the 78th minute goal at Anfield to push the Red Devils one step up on the EPL log.

Wayne Rooney.jpg

Manchester United have now won three of their last four games in 2016 with the England captain contributing massively to the victories since the year began.

Rooney told Sky Sports after the 1-0 victory: "To score the winning goal at Anfield, it’s been a long time since that happened for me, since my first years here, so I’ll be selfish today and enjoy that one the most."

The 30-year-old now holds the all-time record for most Premier League goals scored for a single club with 176 for the Reds, but the skipper says he will savour the match-winning strike on Merseyside more at this moment in time.

"To be honest, I didn’t know about that record. Obviously it is great to have records but I don’t think it will beat the feeling I have now," he said.

"I think everyone knows the importance of this game regardless of positions; we could be top or second from bottom. It’s a massive game for both football clubs and the fans.

"It was a great victory and three points, which we needed to keep up the good start to the year."

Following a cagey first half, United improved after the break and earned a fourth straight win over Liverpool when Rooney crashed in a volley after Marouane Fellaini’s header hit the crossbar. But the forward believes the three points were more important than the performance.

He told MUTV: "It was a tough game. Liverpool came on to us a lot and David De Gea made some great saves. Thankfully I got a chance and took it.

"The performance wasn’t that important today; all that matters today was the victory. I think we knew how important it was and there were a few reminders [at half-time] from myself and the manager that ‘this is Liverpool we are playing, we need to tackle more and get to the ball quicker’.

"I think we did that in the second half. Liverpool made it tough for us in the first half but we got the chance and we are happy with the win."

Back