Politics We Negotiated 83 Girls, One Refused To Return Home – Garba Shehu

P

PressRoom

Senior Special Assistant to Nigeria's President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, has said one of the Chibok girls abducted by the Boko Haram insurgent group was unwilling to return with the 82 that were recently freed on the ground that “she has found a husband.”

Mr Shehu revealed this while speaking on Channels TV, Tuesday morning. 82 of the girls had been swapped on Saturday, April 5, with some detained members of the sect.

upload_2017-5-9_16-43-53.png

Shehu said the negotiation had been that 83 girls would be freed from the militant group but one of the girls was unwilling to return.

“83 were negotiated to come back but one said I have found a husband, I am happy where I am. So they left her and brought back the 82,” he said.

“At first, when the negotiation started people were ridiculing us. But we are here now.”

President Muhammadu Buhari has however promised Nigerians that the battle against insurgency will not be complete without the return of the girls who were abducted, more than a year before Buhari took office.

Back