Politics 'What did you do in Power?, Stop Complaining '- Esele Orders Former Nigerian Leaders

A

abujagirl

Comrade Peter Esele, former President, Trade Union Congress (TUC), Comrade Peter Esele, on Wednesday called on past leaders in Nigeria to stop complaining, querying what they did while in power.

Esele made the call when he contributed to the Presidential inaugural speech at the ongoing National Conference in Abuja.

According to him, "I do not know whether to laugh or to cry when I heard some comments of some elder delegates at the conference. A country is not defined by its geographical borders but by quality of its character and the contents of its standard.

"That Nigeria is not working is not because Nigerians are not working. In this hall, we have the crème de la crème of Nigeria. If yesterday’s men of power are complaining today, when they had that power what did they do with it.

"We have senators here, did they pass any law that will guarantee employment?. We have retired Inspectors-General of Police here, what did they do to empower the police that the ordinary policeman will have dignity.

"Once there is no individual dignity there can be no national dignity. We must ask ourselves these questions,” Esele said.

He said it was not enough for Nigerians to talk-the-talk as they also need to work-the-talk.

Esele stressed the need for government to take up its responsibilities of providing the basic amenities for it citizens.

"The indexes of a failing country are when its people are busy talking about religion. religion is nobody business,’’ he said.

He said it was immaterial where and which religion the leader professes all Nigerians need is create employment and put food on the table that is what I am looking for.

"Government should help us develop education, healthcare and give us the right to live. Give the youth the right to achieve their dreams, that is what we are looking for", Esele added

The former TUC president said that for the country to progress the rule of law must prevail.

"We need to know that the basis is the rule of law against the rule by might. What we need is to agree that we make laws and have the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. Therefore, irrespective of whom you are, where you are coming from, all we need is to respect our law", Esele added.

peter esele.jpg

Back