Metro What I Plan to Do With N4b Awarded Against SaharaReporters - Saraki

kemi

Social Member
Senate President Bukola Saraki has said he would collect every penny of the N4 billion awarded to him against publisher of SaharaReporters, Omoyele Sowore.

saraki.jpg

A court had awarded N4 billion to Saraki on Thursday in a lawsuit against SaharaReporters for series of libelous articles against him.

In a statement signed by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Yusuph Olaniyonu, Saraki said he would use the money to support media organizations struggling to survive as well as lawyers handling pro bono cases for citizens.

Saraki said the judgement showed that Nigeria’s system could be trusted and redress could be sought.

“One thing is clear by the judgement, there are systems in place in our nation for all citizens to seek redress if they have been unfairly treated in any way.

“This judgement is a fulfillment of our promise that we will explore all legal means to seek redress for all the fabrications and mudslinging that Sahara Reporters has thrown at us over the years.’’

On what he plans to use the money for, Saraki said; “The restitution from this judgement will be channeled to set up a Foundation whose aim will be to support pure and unadulterated investigative journalism and assist the families of real journalists that die in the line of duty.

“The money will also be used to support genuine publications whose owners are struggling to pay salaries of workers or meet their ever rising running cost. Part of the money will also be channelled to help lawyers who have been providing pro bono services to litigants, particularly, on cases bothering on enforcement of fundamental human rights.’’

Facebook is asking me to pay 30 dollars to booste my page so I humbly ask for assistance too to booste the page for about 5years only.

Back