Politics Why I’ve Not Visited United States — Atiku

Jamaz

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has explained why he has been unable to enter the United States in the past few years.

There have been concerns that Mr. Abubakar was avoiding a trip to America because he fears a warrant was out for his arrest there.

But Mr. Abubakar, who is expected to run for president in 2019, said in an interview published by The Boss newspaper that he had actually made attempt to visit the U.S. but was denied on administrative grounds.

“I applied, but wasn’t issued a visa. However, they did not decline me categorically either. They’ve only said my application is going through administrative process,” Mr. Abubakar told the paper published by Dele Momodu.

“It is the sole prerogative of America to determine who they want in their country or not. I’m not running away from America,” Mr. Abubakar added.

Speculation about Mr. Abubakar’s run in with U.S. authorities stemmed from a broadband contract award to iGate, an America company which Williams Jefferson, then U.S. federal lawamker from Louisiana, had interest in.

Mr. Jefferson was said to have used his political influence and friendship with Mr. Abubakar to ensure that the contract went smoothly in Nigeria with intentions to pay some kickbacks to Nigerian officials, including the former vice president.

Culled from Premium Times

Attachments

• IMG_20171203_102051.jpg
    IMG_20171203_102051.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 18
Back