Sports Why I Missed Rio Opening Ceremony – Team Nigeria Captain, Mikel Obi

kemi

Social Member
John Mikel Obi, captain of Dream Team VI and the Olympic contingent, is yet to overcome his absence from the opening ceremony of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.

mikel vs sweden.jpg

Speaking with London Evening Standard, Mikel recalled how the flight delay with the Nigerian soccer team saw him miss the perfect opportunity of leading Nigeria’s contingent to the opening ceremony of the games.

“Not everything went according to plan at the start, mainly because there seemed to be a problem getting a plane big enough to take us from our training base in Atlanta to Manaus for our first match.

“Unfortunately, I didn’t end up carrying the Nigeria flag at the opening ceremony as expected. Our first two games were in Manaus and we arrived so late, we didn’t have the time to arrange for me to fly to Rio straight after the Japan match and then come back again to face Sweden.

“But that’s life and I still have a lot to be excited about. We are already in the quarter-finals, regardless of the result against Colombia in our final group game tonight.

“My Olympics adventure took a while to take off but the Nigeria football team have certainly been flying since we arrived in Brazil,” Mikel said.

Back