Politics Why Nigeria Remains a Toddler at 54 - Odigie-Oyegun

Vunderkind

Social Member
National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Chief John Odigie-Oyegun, has said sycophancy, political irresponsibility, dishonesty, moral turpitude and betrayal of public trust were the main factors responsible for the under-development of Nigeria, 54 years after its independence and 15 years of uninterrupted democracy. Delivering a lecture tagged, ‘Nigeria, a Trajectory of Dashed Expectation: Looking into the Future with Hope’ at the 2014 Alumni Lecture organised by the University of Ibadan Alumni Association (UIAA) at the Trenchard Hall of the institution at the weekend, Odigie-Oyegun warned that until Nigerians shunned those factors, the ideal nation they dreamt of might remain a mirage.

“We in Nigeria today must begin to put an end to sycophancy and acts of political irresponsibility as is presently the case in Nigeria and begin to think deeply on how to develop our nation. And this is what we do in All Progressives Congress. While it remains an obvious truth that Nigeria, 54 years after, is perceived and still behaves like a toddler, there is no doubt that the country has suffered stunted growth as a result of gross leadership failure. This is exemplified by our failure, as a people to use our huge human and material resources to galvanise development in our country, this in spite of being a leading oil producing country in the world.

“I see very bright future for us all, but a lot depends on the Nigerian people, who continue to show docility and not being able to take their destinies in their own hands. Without any resort to violence, because that, to me, is defeatist, I do believe that we as a people can achieve so much through the ballot box by easing out that party which has held on to power for a decade and a half and has not made any meaningful impact in our lives.”

Click here to read more

Source: #TheSun

John-Odigie-Oyegu.jpg

Back