Politics Why the South-West Didn't Vote for Me in 2011 - Nuhu Ribadu [Archives]

Vunderkind

Social Member
We came across this interview on Sahara Reporters last month with Nuhu Ribadu. In this interview, he spoke about his service in the police force before he became chairman of the EFCC. He spoke on his stand on corruption. He said, concerning the one time Ibori offered him a bribe, “But it is not my money, it was ill-gotten and I do not see myself benefitting from ill-gotten wealth. The God I serve forbids that. I can’t take stolen money. In fact, apart from the $15 million dollars, I was offered much higher amount as bribe while I was in the Police, but I refused to accept. I have jailed many lawyers who collected large sums of money from their clients to bring to me. It is not as if I don’t need those monies, but, but I cannot be the one to benefit from stolen funds, when I was given the mandate of fighting such crimes, God forbid.”

Speaking on the past election, he explained why he lost: “As far as I know, they did not abandon me. What happened was that before Election Day, I had told them that I withdrew from the race and they agreed. There were witnesses also, such as General Babangida, Aliyu Gusau, Buhari, Atiku, Sule Yahaya Hamma, Bashir Yusuf Ibrahim, and the rest.
But there was misunderstanding between the CPC and ACN, even though I had withdrawn. The two parties failed to agree. That incident discouraged a lot of people especially in the South West because as far they were concerned, they had no candidate. Since they had no candidate, they did not even appoint agents to polling units, and so did not spend a kobo at the time. So people were allowed to freely elect who they wanted. You cannot blame them since they failed to reach an agreement with CPC.”

When the interviewer asked him if he had only run to divide Northern votes, he said “It’s not true. I pray to God not to let me live that kind of life. I will never do anything that will shortchange the people of this country, because whatever I do, I put the fear of God first. And as God would have it, what I had set out to achieve is what eventually happened because the opposition parties have now come together.”

Click here to read the full interview

Source: Sahara Reporters

Attachments

• nuhu ribadu.jpg
    nuhu ribadu.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 16
Back