Sports Why We Beat Nigeria 2-0 in Qualifier – South African Coach, Baxter

kemi

Social Member
Stuart Baxter, coach of the Bafana Bafana of South Africa, has stated reason why Nigerian Super Eagles lost 2-0 in Uyo on Saturday in a 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier.

baxter.jpg

The Englishman said that much as the Super Eagles controlled the match, especially in the early stages, the team lacked the required quality upfront.

Speaking to South African media on Sunday, Baxter noted that with good cutting edge in front of goal, the score line would not have been bad for the Super Eagles.

“We are still relishing that result and it is good that we win. I am so happy because I just joined the team back and it is good we start well for the AFCON qualifiers.

“I will still say kudos to the Nigerians because they stretched us and made some dangerous movements. But if I may sound very respectful and modest, their attack was not the very best they could have presented.

“They were without quality frontline, otherwise, they could have scored in the early exchanges but like I said earlier, it is good that my players responded very well in the match,” he said.

Nigeria is currently third in the qualifying group behind leaders, Libya, and South Africa and will play Seychelles, who lost 1-5 to Libya in their next encounter.

Back