Sports Wimbledon open: Andy Murray Sets Up A Re-Match With Roger Federer

Seven-time Wimbledon champion Roger Federer has progressed to the Wimbledon Open semi final after beating French's Gilles Simon to set up a meeting with Andy Murray.

The 22-year old Swiss defeated the 12th seeded Simon 6-3 7-5 6-2 in one hour and 34 minutes in an impressive performance which was interrupted by rain twice on Court One.

This will be a return match for both Federer and Murray after the current world number two defeated the Britain's number one to clinch his last Wimbledon title in 2012, meanwhile the world number three also defeated Vasek Pospisil 6-4 7-5 6-4 to reach the last four of the tourney.

"We both like to look back on that summer of 2012," Federer said. "If we knew beforehand that I would win Wimbledon and him the Olympics, I think we both would have taken it. It was a great summer for us.

"I am happy for him, he is doing so well after his back surgery. People forget how hard it is to get back from injury and get back into contention to win tournaments.

"Friday will be a tough one for me but I am obviously looking forward to it."

Federer has had some marathon battles with Simon in the past but this time only the weather looked like holding him up.

On two occasions the players had to come off for 30-minute breaks because of showers, but the delays did not affect Federer's focus.

He also remained unruffled after Simon ended his run of 116 consecutive unbroken service games, which started in the first round of the Gerry Weber Open in Halle last month.

Federer broke back immediately as he went on to take the second set, and took Simon's serve apart in the third to quickly complete his victory.

"The stop and goes with the weather are tough but I think I used them to my advantage," Federer added. "The breaks helped rather than hindered me.

"Simon was a quality return player and the game I got broken he was too good." BBC
Murray1.jpg

Back