You Still Have GONORRHEA? Here's The Real Reason It hasn't Gone

rhamses

Gonorrhea has been termed to be the commonest Sexually Transmitted Disease worldwide, infecting millions of people. Statistically, its incidence may be higher because only about 1 in 10 infected men exhibits symptoms related to gonorrhea. Also, about 50% of women remain asymptomatic to this disease.

GONORRHOEA.jpeg

It is caused by a gram gram-aerobic diplococcus Neisseria gonorrhoeae that colonizes the urinary/reproductive tracts and may occasionally gain access into the blood stream to cause sepsis. It is said that the incidence of sexually transmitted diseases has been on the increase with about 19 million new infections occurring yearly. According to findings by a group of Nigerian health researchers, out of 252 high vaginal swabs obtained, Neisseria gonorrhoeae was isolated in 0.38%. This study also showed an increase in drug resistance to Neisseria gonorrhoeae from inadequate and improper treatment of this pathogen. Treating any infection properly is the key in reducing the emergence of new strains that are resistant to conventional antibiotics.

MODE OF TRANSMISSION

1. The commonest route of transmission is via unprotected sexual intercourse with an infected partner. This can be vaginal, anal or via oral sex. It is advocated that condoms are used correctly and consistently in all premarital/casual sexual relationship. This accounts for over 90% of all cases of gonorrhea infection ·

2. Transmission from mother to child. This occurs when the newborn passes through the birth canal of an infected mother. It is referred to as ‘Ophthalmia neonatorum’ characterized by an offensive purulent discharge from the eyes of a newborn baby.

CLINICAL FEATURES: HOW WILL I KNOW THAT I HAVE GONORRHEA?

1. The commonest symptom of gonorrhea infection is the presence of a foul-smelling urethral discharge of pus with pain during urination. This typically occurs 2 - 6 days after exposure ·

2. Irritation, inflammation and itching of the genitals

3, Painful testes. This occurs with ascending urinary tract infection · It is important to NOTE that most people infected with gonorrhea shows no symptom(s) of the disease.

With the advent of online pharmacies and self-medication, many people have inadequately treated themselves by using the wrong drug, improper dosage and poor compliance to the duration of treatment. In Nigeria and other developing countries with poor access to proper health care facilities, different treatments have been used for gonorrhea. Most of these treatments are bizarre with no scientific proven studies carried out for such treatment. Treating gonorrhea has to be done the right way to prevent complications that may arise from poor treatment.

I have heard of people using or advocating the use of early morning urine to treat gonorrhea and I wonder on the rationale of such treatment. ‘Are they not disseminating the disease’ was the question I asked myself when I came across a web page advocating such treatment. Drinking urine doesn’t treat gonorrhea but it may increase the chance of getting the bacteria into your gastrointestinal system and your blood. Other treatments commonly used are herbal concoctions made from roots, leaves and bark of trees. Although several claims have been made about the efficacy of these products, no scientific evidence is available to prove such claims. Herbal concoctions/ medicinal products may be prepared using unethical methods, substandard ingredients and in unhygienic conditions hence posing great danger to the health of its consumers.

If you want to treat yourself of gonorrhea, then you have to do it the right way. It is advisable that you consult your physician who is going to ask you a series of questions and request for certain investigations. The investigation used is urine M/C/S or High Vaginal Swab M/C/S for men and women respectively. If you are having urethral discharge, then the discharge will be used for M/C/S. Microscopy, Culture and Sensitivity (M/C/S) test isolates and cultures the causative organism. This also helps the physician exclude other diseases that may present as gonorrhea infection. Currently, 100% cure can be obtained by using a combination of gentamicin injection and azithromycin tablets taken orally or a combination of oral azithromycin and gemifloxacin.

Other antibiotics can be used to treat gonorrhea infection, but the most suitable antibiotic is selected from the sensitivity result obtained after your M/C/S test. Since gonorrhea is transmitted sexually, both partners should be tested and treatment offered to both partners to prevent re-infection. This has been found to be a problem in our society because both partners rarely avail themselves for testing and treatment.

Treating gonorrhea, the right way is of great advantage because it prevents deadly complications that may result from poor treatment. When next you experience symptoms suggestive of gonorrhea, it is advocated that you and your partner visits your physician or any nearby approved hospital for proper diagnosis and treatment.View attachment 46179

Image Source: nobledispensary.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Back