Sports Ameobi hopeful of making Nigeria's team to the World Cup

Ameobi.png
Newcastle striker Shola Ameobi is thrilled with the opportunity of playing at the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil with Nigeria's Super Eagles.

Ameobi believes that he stands a good chance of making the Nigerian team if he plays regularly for his clubside,Newcastle.

The 32-year old only last weekend scored his first goal since 2012 in Newcastle's 2-1 home defeat to visiting Swansea.

Speaking to the Northern Echo,Ameobi said: “I just want to do everything I can for Newcastle, but from a World Cup point of view, then obviously the more I play, the better chance I have going.

“My focus is on playing for Newcastle because if I do that, then hopefully everything else will take care of itself.

“Make no mistake, I want to play games for this football club and help us do well. That is my priority.

“The World Cup is the World Cup and any player worth his salt would want to be there. But if I’m not playing for Newcastle then there’s a very good chance that I won’t be in the Nigeria squad either.”

Ameobi missed out on Nigeria's team to the 2013 African Nations Cup,after opting to stay back at Newcastle,despite being initially drafted in the 30-man provisional list.

Photo Credit: Wikipedia

Back