Politics Anambra Elections: Obaze Picks Ekwueme’s Daughter Chidi As Running Mate

M

mrsam

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate for the November 18 Anambra governorship election, Mr. Oseloka Obaze, has picked the first daughter of former Vice President Alex Ekwueme, Lady Chidi Alexandra Onyemelukwe, as his running mate.

At the unveiling on Wednesday, Obaze stated that she is one of the eminently qualified PDP faithfuls

He said, ''Onyemelukwe is coming with rich personal accomplishment, impeccable credentials and high pedigree. She is a promoter of excellent and qualitative education and one with great passion for the advancement of women affairs and for female gender mainstreaming in governance.

“As Deputy Governor, Chidi will be my partner in turning Anambra State around and returning her to the trajectory, where the state is not just working, but will be an example that other states must seek to emulate.

“Her selection is a strong public pronouncement of my commitment to gender mainstreaming, women empowerment and a 60-40 targeted ratio in political appointments. I look forward to our collaboration and shared responsibilities in delivering good governance and dividends of democracy to our people in Anambra state.”

In her acceptance speech, Lady Onyemelukwe, who was at the brief ceremony with her husband, Dr. Okey Onyemelukwe, said that now was the time for Anambra State to bring out her first 11 and urged the people to rally round Obaze who she described as a humble and intelligent man, to ensure that PDP become victorious in the poll.

She said, “Anambra state has a plethora of professionals excelling in really all fields of human endeavour, scattered all around Nigeria and all over the globe, helping to build and strengthen other economies. Ask them to come home, and they would justifiably tell you that the land here is not conducive for them; ask them then, to come home and help make that land conducive, in terms of participating in leadership, and one look at perhaps just the conducts of the primaries, and the rethorics of abuse, stone hurling on print and social media and you have no one left in the room to give you an answer.

“Well, the trajectory has to change. The Augean stables need to be cleaned out. Simply put, I believe that it is time that the cream of the crop, who maybe some would say have nothing to lose, but who have a lot to offer step out of their comfort zones, step up to the plate and put hearts, minds and intellect together, God being our helper to build an Anambra state that we can all be proud of.”

Attachments

• obaze.jpg
    obaze.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 18
Back