Sports Australian Open update: Rafael Nadal and Maria Sharapova survive scares to go through

Rafael Nadal survived a scare as he lasted the long haul to beat Tim Smyczek in their match at the Australian Open on Tuesday.

It didn't go according to the scripts with Nadal struggling as he needed five sets to be able to overcome Smyczek.

Nadal was apparently unwell in the match, needing an on court treatment as he came out tops with a 6-2 3-6 6-7 (2-7) 6-3 7-5 victory.

"At the end of the first set, I started to feel my body was very bad, very tired," said Nadal.
"I was worrying like crazy. Then I was serving for the third and almost threw up. It was a terrible feeling.

"I was close to not continuing because I felt that I was very dizzy.

"I was suffering a lot. Too much. Obviously it's a very positive thing that finally I have the chance to win, but I hope to recover myself."

It was the same tale of near upset in the women's category, with Maria Sharapova saving a double matchpoints to beat Alexandra Panova.

Panova who is ranked 150th in the world needed just two points when she led 5-1 in the final set as Sharapova clawed her way back to win 6-1 4-6 7-5.

Attachments

• Nadal - Copy.JPG
    Nadal - Copy.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 8
Back