Sports Djokovic confident of playing at Madrid Masters

rsz_djokovic.jpg
World number two Novak Djokovic has expressed optimism towards regaining fitness for the Madrid Masters which will start in two weeks' time after suffering a wrist injury at the Monte Carlo Masters last week.

The Serbian lost to Roger Federer in the semi-finals,sustaining an injury in training ahead of the Monte Carlo Masters which he won the 2013 edition.

Djokovic expressed concern during his post-match comments, saying that he was in pain every time he took a shot and that he would not be able to play tennis "for some time".

That prompted speculation he may not be fit for the Masters series events in Madrid or Rome, and perhaps even the French Open next month, the title he covets more than any other.

But the most recent tests have allayed those fears, with Djokovic simply being advised to rest for several days before beginning his preparations for the tournament in Madrid, which begins on 5 May.

The Serbian said: "Fortunately, the situation with the injury is better than it first seemed. Doctors assured me that I will be ready for Madrid, then Rome and Roland Garros, just as it has been planned.

"However, I need to continue with the recovery process and full medical treatments. It means I will have to take a short break in order to recover as soon as possible."

Last edited by a moderator:
Back