Sports Doping: Bad image for Nigeria after Weightlifter's B Sample turns out Positive

Amalaha.gif
The B sample of Nigerian weightlifter Chika Amalaha has turned out to be positive after her A sample revealed that she has used drugs at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.

Amalaha who last week Friday won a gold medal for Nigeria in the women's 53kg event on Tuesday tested positive to banned substances,after traces of diuretics and masking agents were seen in her system.

The 16-year old is set for a hearing today and is most certain to be stripped of the gold medal which she won,apparently aided with a performance related drugs.

Mike Hooper, chief executive of Commonwealth Games Federation, said: "I can't speculate on what the outcome might be.

"But we will issue a statement after the hearing."

Meanwhile Nigeria's Sports Minister Tammy Danagogo has expressed his sadness over the drug-test failure of Amalaha,however he is convinced that she is innocent and warned that officials as well as coaches who are found to have aided any form of cheating would face severe sanctions from the National Sports Commission.

“The reported first sample drug-test failure of our female weightlifter is very embarrassing and I feel so saddened although I’m still convinced that the 16 yr old Amalaha is innocent," the minister said.

“Nevertheless I must use my office as Sports Minister to enshrine tenets of integrity and fair competition in our sports, especially as it concerns the youths.
Warning that “Officials and coaches who are found to encourage or condone cheating of any kind would face severe sanctions.”

Back