Politics Finally! President Jonathan does Groundbreaking Ceremony for 2nd Niger Bridge

A

abujagirl

Yesterday, President Goodluck Jonathan performed the ground groundbreaking ceremony of the second Niger bridge. The ceremony held in Onitsha and was well attended by south-east governors and political office holders, although Governor Rochas Okorocha of Imo State was visibly absent.

The bridge will be be completed in 48months will cost N117.8 and will be constructed by billion Julius Berger/AIIM Consortium. The second Niger Bridge is expected to ease traffic on the First Niger bridge which is almost dilapidated and was constructed in 1965.

Speaking during the groundbreaking ceremony, President Jonathan said, "You may recall that during my presidential campaign for the 2011 general election, I promised the good people of South-East and Delta that if elected President, I will ensure that the 2nd Niger Bridge is constructed. Today, I have come as the President who you voted into office to flag-off this vital project in order to bring this solemn pledge of my sincere promise into concrete reality.

"The 2nd Niger Bridge, which foundation we are laying today is a strategic national infrastructure that will boost the economic prospects of the contiguous states and indeed for the entire nation. It is an important economic artery that will connect the great market of Onitsha and Aba and as well as the industrial hub of Nnewi to the rest of the country.

"On completion, the bridge will alleviate the pains experienced by travelers as a result of congestion, especially during festive periods. It would not only improve road transportation in South-East, but significantly improve communication between the South-East and South-West geo-political zones.

second niger.jpg

Back