Sports Formula one: Red Bull criticised for picking 16-year old Max Verstappen to drive for them

Red Bull Formula one car.jpg
More criticisms have been trailing the decision to allow a 16-year old compete in the Formula One.

There has been widespread criticisms and outcry over Red Bull's decision to pick Max Verstappen to drive for them next season.

Some of the drivers have joined the bandwagon to criticise Red Bull for the decision,as they think it would be risky for the young driver's career.

Sauber's Adrian Sutil said: "It's quite a risky move and a surprise for everyone to be announced as F1 driver after only half a season in F3," he was quoted to have said on BBC Sport.

"But there are drivers who can manage that, for example Kimi Raikkonen, who did only one season of Formula Renault and performed extremely well.

"But I think you still need a little bit of driving, a couple of years, before you do F1.

"I think 17 is very young but it just shows everything is possible. The downside is if he doesn't perform his career might be ending very quickly."

Mercedes driver Jenson Button said: "When I was 20, I wasn't ready. I was probably ready at 23, but people are ready at different times.

"Also, if someone comes along and says 'do you want a drive in F1?' you're not going to say no, are you? Because there might not be another opportunity.

"That's what happened to me. Frank [Williams] said to me when I was in the pub with my mates drinking beer and eating sausages and bacon: 'Are you ready for F1?' And I said, 'no'.

Photo Credit: Wikipedia

Back