Sports I Almost Lost My Dressing Room To De Gea Transfer Saga- Van Gaal

Manchester United manager, Louis van Gaal, has admitted that the David De Gea's summer transfer issue almost caused a monumental problem in his dressing room.

The Red Devils had agreed to let the Spaniard go on transfer deadline day but Madrid's failure to submit transfer request made the deal collapse and the 24-year old has now extended his stay at the Old Trafford.

Van Gaal.jpg

Some of the players were reported to have fallen out of tune with the way the Dutchman has been handling the team, both in training and man management.

"We had problems with Valdes, then we had problems with the transfer of De Gea, who has a great influence in the dressing room, which is why it was flat," Van Gaal told reporters on Friday.

"But I am pleased that they come to me and say that to me, then I can communicate about that and then we can change or not change.

"It’s a positive thing that the players are coming to me and not only Carrick or Rooney, other players. But it was Carrick and Rooney and that was alarming for me because they are the captains.

"But all the players are communicating with me. They are coming to my office. Believe me, it is like that. I am not a dictator, I am a communicator."

The former Barcelona and Netherlands coach admitted that while he took the feelings of his players on board, there was no need for any dramatic changes to his methods or match tactics.

"I have changed the way that I [draw up] the game plan to them," he explained to a media conference.

"Now I ask in advance and they can say what they want. Most of the strategy is always the same because they like the way we have done it."

The Red Devils face Liverpool on Saturday and Van Gaal has admitted that De Gea could be set to return in goal, with the Spain international having signed a new contract with United, after being on the verge of joining Real Madrid on deadline.

Back