Business Kenya: Multichoice's DStv Gets Tough Opposition From Local Telecoms Company

L

LequteMan

Multichoice's DStv is set to lose a reasonable market share to Jamii Telecoms Faiba TV which launched in the country last week.

Jamii Telecoms Faiba TV is a Ksh 10,000 (N20,000) Android box. It delivers premium pay-TV content such as SuperSports channels 1 to 5, with English Premium League football for KSh 1,000 (N2,000), reports the Business Daily. DStv's Premium plan, which covers these sports channels cost Ksh 9,400, (about N18,500) per month.

However, the service requires a minimum broadband speed of 5mbps to deliver high definition (HD) content, delivered by Jamii for KES 5,000 (N10,000) per month. Users can use this to watch other online content from Hulu, Netflix, Kodi among others. Subscriptions to OTT and video-on-demand (VOD) providers must be secured independently.

“We are not in the business of selling content, however with the Jamii Android boxes, we want to add value to our customers by availing a device that can make them utilise the bandwidth capacity they have in a better way,” Joshua Chepkwony, CEO, Jamii Telecoms told Business Standard.

Attachments

• dstv1.jpg
    dstv1.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 14
I wish the same thing could happen in Nigeria... I will be happy
Because their subscription supposed to be, pay as you used, but DSTV would charges you even if you don't ON your Decoder for a month .

I wish the same thing could happen in Nigeria... I will be happy
Because their subscription supposed to be, pay as you used, but DSTV would charges you even if you don't ON your Decoder for a month .
You are right. I think charging you despite not using the service is very wrong. They need a very strong competition in this country. An example is the case of MTN.

Back