Sports Louis van Gaal backs Ryan Giggs to succeed him as Man United coach

Manchester United manager, Louis van Gaal has backed his assistant, Ryan Giggs to succeed him when his contract expires with the Red Devils.
louis and giggs1.jpg

The Dutch manager signed a three-year contract with the Old Trafford outfit, succeeding David Moyes after leading United through a woeful season which made them lose their European championship ticket.

Giggs spent 23 years at the Old Trafford as a player, appearing for the club for about 963 times with 22 titles to show for it under the tutelage of former coach, Sir Alex Ferguson.

The 41-year-old joined David Moyes' backroom team in the summer of 2013 and was named interim manager when the Scot was sacked last April, winning two of his four games in charge.

Van Gaal, who appointed Giggs as his assistant last summer, rates the Welshman highly and believes he will get another chance at the top job when the time comes for him to leave Old Trafford.

"I expect that he will be the next manager after I am gone," Van Gaal told MUTV when asked about Giggs.

"Now I have the responsibility. He has tasks that he has to perform like the players. What he has to do, for me, he does it very well."

Van Gaal's current contract as United boss expires in the summer of 2017 and he has already intimated that this will be his last job.

Back