Politics Obasanjo Nearly Killed Me As a UNILAG Student - Tunde Bakare

Vunderkind

Social Member
DailyPost says that the activist/founder of the Latter Rain Assembly, pastor Tunde Bakare has accused former president of Nigeria, Olusegun Obasanjo, of killing student unionism in the country at the time he was military head of state in 1978.

The newspaper says:
According to him (Bakare), Obasanjo, as the then Head of State in 1978, used brute force to repress the students during the ‘Ali Must Go’ protest. Some students were killed in the protest. One of them was Akintunde Ojo.

Delivering a paper titled, “Good Governance: Sustainability of Democracy, the Role of Students in the Forthcoming General Elections”, Bakare said it was unfortunate that students’ unionism had been hijacked by unserious students.

Recalling the history of students’ unionism from the colonial days, he noted that it suffered a fatal blow in 1978. He said, “General Olusegun Obasanjo’s government ordered the brutal suppression of that protest. Live bullets were unleashed on protesting students. As we proceeded outside the University of Lagos main gate, I narrowly escaped death, as Akintunde Ojo, the young man standing just beside me, was gunned down.

Click here to read more

Source: #DailyPost

Tunde-Bakare.jpeg

Back