Politics Osinbajo's Ratification: Tweet from RCCG Account Causes Nigerian Tempers to Flare

Vunderkind

Social Member
Today, it became official that Professor Yemi Osinbajo would be running alongside Presidential candidate General Muhammadu Buhari in the forthcoming 2015 presidential polls.

Shortly after the big reveal, the @RCCGworldwide Twitter handle - which supposedly tweets on behalf of E.A. Adeboye's Redeemed Christian Church of God posted a message saying: "LET SOMEBODY SHOUT ALLELUIA!!!" and, at the bottom of the text, a photograph of Osinbajo was attached as the screenshot below shows:

upload_2014-12-17_14-50-0.png

Since then, the tweet has sparked vitriol from social commentators who criticized whoever was tweeting on behalf of the church for meddling with political affairs and potentially tarnishing the church's stoically neutral image.

Even Ohimai Godwin Amaize, popularly known as Mr. Fix Nigeria expressed his displeasure

Below are a few of the response tweets:

upload_2014-12-17_14-56-24.png

upload_2014-12-17_14-54-53.png

upload_2014-12-17_14-56-43.png

upload_2014-12-17_14-59-56.png

Meanwhile, @ikeamadi pointed out that the handle might not belong officially to RCCG, so criticism at he church should be stayed:
upload_2014-12-17_14-58-44.png

Below is a screenshot of the @RCCG profile page:
upload_2014-12-17_15-0-43.png

Well... I think it's the way the twitter handler went about it that is not quite okay. It's not actually wrong for a church to celebrate one of her members who has been picked out of many for a higher office in the country. But such has to be kept in balance. If I were the twitter handler I would have tweeted something like this:

"Celebrating one of our own who has just been nominated to contest for the office of Nigeria's VP. As a church family, we pray that God will help you in your pursuit and most importantly, his will shall prevail. Congratulations!"