Politics Prof Sagay: Why Buhari Should Not Recognise Saraki

A

abujagirl

Prof. Itse Sagay, a constitutional lawyer and Senior Advocate of Nigeria has said that Muhammadu Buhari should not recognize the newly sworn in Senate President, Bukola Saraki.

itsay sagay.jpg

PUNCH reports that Sagay made the comment during a telephone interview. He said, ''The bulk of the APC senators were having a meeting with the President and in their absence, PDP senators and Senator Saraki’s supporters in the APC went to the chambers and started the proceedings and nominated Saraki unopposed as President of the Senate.

''In my view, it is not only an act of gross impunity which Senator Saraki has brought from the PDP but he has now demonstrated it in the Senate. It is an illegal act because there is no way a Senate can be formally inaugurated without all the members being present – provided they want to be present.

''They knew that the bulk of the APC senators were not there and the APC senators intended to participate in the election. For Saraki and other PDP senators to have gone ahead to do that election in their absence was an act of illegality and criminality.

''It was an attempted coup in the first arm of government in Nigeria and it is a very serious assault on democracy in this country and if I was the President, I would refuse to recognise the result of such an illegal exercise and insist that a proper Senate is convened to elect its officials''.

Back