Sports Samuel Eto'o no longer playing for Cameroon

Eto'o.jpg
Samuel Eto'o has announced his retirement from international football,thereby ending his time with the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon.

The 33-year old confirmed his retirement on Wednesday,after he was left out of the 25-man squad for Cameroon's 2015 African Cup of Nations qualifiers next month.

“I inform you that I am ending my international career… Thank you to all Africa, and to all my fans for your unconditional support,” he announced on his Twitter account.

The Cameroonian was the captain of the side,but his importance has been scaled down with the announcement of Stephan Mbia as the new skipper of the side.

Eto'o this week,completed a two-year deal to Everton and seems intent on now focusing on club football.

He earned his first cap with Cameroon on 9 March 1997, in a 5–0 friendly loss to Costa Rica.

As a member of the Cameroon national team, Eto'o was a part of the squad that won the 2000 Olympic tournament in Sydney,Australia.

He has also participated in three World Cups and six Africa Cup of Nations (being champion twice) and is the all-time leading scorer in the history of the Africa Cup of Nations, with 18 goals.

He was capped 116 times for Cameroon and is his country's leading scorer with 55 goals.

Back