Sports Steven Gerrard quits international football

Gerrard.JPG
England and Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard today announced his retirement from international football.

The 34-year old skippered the Three Lions to the 2014 World Cup tournament in Brazil where they failed to cross the group stages of the competition.

“This has been a very difficult decision, one of the toughest I’ve had to make in my career," Gerrard told the FA's official website.

"I have agonised over this since coming back from Brazil and have spoken to family, friends and people close to me in the game before coming to this point.

"Most importantly, Brendan [Rodgers, Liverpool manager] has been fantastic and obviously I have to look after my body as much as possible to ensure I can give everything when I take to the field.

“To ensure I can keep playing to a high level and giving everything to Liverpool Football Club I believe this is the right decision, and having Champions League football back at Anfield is another big factor in my decision.”

On Sunday,Nigerian Bulletin listed Gerrard as one of the players who must have played their last World Cup tournament for their countries.

Gerrard has been capped 114 times for England scoring 21 goals in the process for his country.

Photo Credit: Wikipedia

Last edited by a moderator:
Back