Politics #ThrowBack Photo Post: I Won't Contest 2015, Insists Goodluck Jonathan

Vunderkind

Social Member
In July 2011, a Vanguard story reported that the President of Nigeria affirmed he would not be contesting the 2015 elections. He did this while reassuring Nigerians that the constitutional amends he was making at the time were not to secure his re-election, but for national interest.

He was explaining through Dr. Reuben Abati that his proposed single-term for presidents and the 36 governors wasn't something he had any interest in benefiting from.

wont stay in office.jpg

A Guardian front page story

Dr. Abati's transcribed words read: "I believe what it means in very clear term is that the President will not be a beneficiary. In other words, the President will not come in 2015 to benefit if the amendment says so. Because, if he tries to do that, those who are saying it is an attempt at tenure elongation will have been vindicated. And he is fully aware of the concern of Nigerians and he is insisting, he is resolute in upholding that statement that he will not be a beneficiary."

If that read as too vague, mercifully he expounded on the initial statement by saying, "that has been made clear by Mr President that this proposal is not to pursue any personal interest and he has also made it clear that if the proposed amendment scale through, he will not be a beneficiary.

I don’t see anything that can be more categorical than that. That is quite clear. I think the statement he made in Addis Ababa shortly before elections was that he will not seek a second term in office”.

This was in response to the question by the media which was, "will the president be contesting in the 2015 elections?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Back