Politics Tony Blair Advises Buhari on How to Run Nigeria

A

abujagirl

Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair has advised for Muhammadu Buhari on how to run the affairs of Nigeria.

Buhari 1.jpg

According to THE NATION, Represented by Lord Mandelson at a two-day policy dialogue on the implementation of the agenda for change organised by the Policy Research and Strategy Directorate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Presidential Campaign Council, Blair said , ''Let me give you an example of another emerging economy that I have spent time more recently. President of Indonesia was elected last year with huge public support. As a foremost businessman without link to the political elite, he was hailed as a leader who could transform Indonesia.

''One of the things he did after being inaugurated last October was to slash Indonesia’s hugely expensive and inefficient, but yet popular fuel subsidy, a policy decision which had toppled previous administrations and consistently brought people out into the streets. He decided to do it straight away.

''He had that goodwill and had that authority and that was the time to move. Obviously, when there was a low price of oil, it made it less painful, but it was well-timed.

''On one part, the new President has demonstrated to his people and the international market that he was serious about economic reform and that he was no longer to be underestimated and the protests on the streets ended up being minimal compared to previous times.

''As you know, addiction to fuel subsidy is not limited to Indonesia. I am saying take advantage of that goodwill of being elected to take difficult decisions that may inflict immediate pains, but are in the long terms of interest to the country and the government.

''What you do in the first 100 days is important and symbolic and can also have tremendously positive repercussion for the government and throughout country. You have a limited window of opportunity to make an impact as a government. Looking at Nigeria, I would say your vulnerability is corruption and that is not new to you, particularly around the oil sector.

''People in this country seem to be able to do things with impunity and beyond the reach of the rule of law or proper accountability and the judicial system. You can crack the NNPC nut or you can make a start on it in the first 100 days and if you do so, you would have built a very strong foundation for what you have to do in the next four years and beyond.

''I think that ensuring that all government revenue goes into a single government account will be a good start. Those revenue from your natural resource are so vital for the country and for your future. I think that will send a very strong message. We did the same thing when we came in in 1997 when we gave the Bank of England its independence and that gave us an instant reputation for fiscal prudence.

''It is quite courageous for a government to give power away to another entity. There were people who voted for the others, mostly in the south and the east of the country. You need to show the people who didn’t vote for you that you represent their interest as much as the people who voted for you. This was what we called big tent politics during Tony Blair era''.

''I must say you have the expectations and the ambitions of 173 million Nigerians in your hands. You have the hopes of an entire continent as well as the eyes of the entire world focused on your efforts. But I tell you people are excited about what is about to happen in Nigeria. They really feel a sense of expectation of faith and hope.

#Buhari #Blair

Back