Politics Under Akpabio,Akwa Ibom Experienced Uncommon Propaganda -Umana

A

abujagirl

Former secretary to Akwa Ibom state government and candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the April 11 governorship election, Umana Umana Okon has accused the immediate past Governor, Godswill Akpabio of promoting 'Uncommon propaganda' during his tenure.

Umana Umana.jpg

Umana made the remark while speaking to bloggers in the state. According to THE CABLE, Umana also accused Udom Emmanuel, Akpabio’s successor, of enjoying a ''stolen mandate''.

He said, ''The level of impunity in Akwa Ibom has reached the stage where leaders, irrespective of political parties, had to come out to rescue the state. The leaders have come out to say enough is enough. We are out to rescue Akwa Ibom from the grips of the cabal led by Akpabio.

''Eminent leaders like Victor Atah, former governor of the state, who is a prominent member of the PDP, has also come out. Don Etiebiet, former minister of petroleum, also a member of the PDP, has come out to take a principled position on how our state can be rescued.

''It cannot be right for one man to impose his will on the entire state. He started with PDP through the imposition of Udom Emmanuel on the entire party and extended this during the election. If I had lost in a free and fair manner, I would have congratulated Udom Emmmanuel and moved on''.

''People were not allowed to vote and somebody who is supposed to be the chief security officer of the state set up a private army, gave them buses to go round the state on election day to harass and intimidate voters. Some of those who resisted were even killed.

''“If we don’t challenge what happened in Akwa Ibom, we would not be helping our country. We must challenge this for the sake of the survival of the country.

''Akpabio was once addressing a group and he said he knows the Nigerian system so well. He said ‘I know the judiciary and if I have to kill to win, I would do that and sit as governor. Let the other party go to court’. He said he knows that the case will linger from the tribunal to appeal and supreme court and at the end he would have finished his tenure before any definite ruling.

''The only way we can heal the wound and help the people recover from the psychological trauma is to seek redress at the tribunal and also hope that those who committed crime and electoral fraud would have their day in court.

''Our people deserve nothing else. It is not about me as a person but about the state. Whether one man can on his own decide the fate of over 4 million people and prevent them from exercising their rights in electing who to be their governor''.

When told the blogger informed him that people outside the state may find it difficult to believe his allegations based on the general impression about Akpabio, Umana said, ''That is the work of uncommon propaganda''.

Back