US Ambassador Summoned Over Frisking of Zimbabwe Minister at JFK Airport

A

abujagirl

images

On Monday, Zimbabwe summoned the US ambassador in Harare over the frisking of its foreign minister, Simbarashe Mumbengegwi on a recent trip to the United States.

According to news24, Mumbengegwi was asked to go through security checks at New York's JFK airport, which is an apparent denial of diplomatic privilege. He was returning home after attending the UN General Assembly as part of the entourage accompanying President Robert Mugabe.

Joey Bimha, Zimbabwe Permanent secretary said ministry officials had on Monday met the US ambassador Bruce Wharton following the airport incident.

"I confirm we met the ambassador yesterday," Bimha told AFP.

"He has since apologised and said he is going to find out what happened".

This is Mugabe's fault. He caused this embarrassment with his big mouth.

Big Mouth or not...the US has no right to frisk a serving minister who was attending the UN Convention, that is plain western arrogance.

Under a US treaty with the United Nations dating to 1947; Washington is obligated to issue the visa as the world body's host country and treat attending delegates with utmost respect as would be accorded a diplomat.

^^So stubborn. I'm not saying U.S. did the right thing. I'm just observing *in my humble opinion* that Mugabe's outburst could have caused the officials at the JFK airport to have behaved in the way they acted *unprofessional in my own view too*.
*sigh*

Outburst or not.....they have no right. If i were Mugabe, i'll deport the US Ambassador to Zimbabwe and shut down their Embassy until i get satisfactory apology

Back