Politics Why Babangida Overthrew and Detained Me For Three Years - Buhari [Archived]

Vunderkind

Social Member
We have retrieved a Premium Times report from December 2012 where the current APC presidential candidate, Muhammadu Buhari spoke about the events that led to his being ousted out of power by Ibrahim Babangida.

According to him, his 20-month rule was truncated because of an attempt to fire Babangida, the then army chief, and Aliyu Gusau, the army intelligence chief.

According to Buhari, he made a proposal for the retirement of Mr Gusau (who was an ally of Babangida's) and this made Babangida realize he could be next.

This caused Babangida to mobilize the army against Buhari, after which he detained Buhari for 3 years.

“I moved to retire his Director of Military Intelligence,” Mr Buhari said. “I took a paper to Army Council. Babangida was there… Idiagbon was there, Bali was there as Minister of Defence, and I was there as the head of state and commander-in-chief. And reasons for him to be removed was in that memo. Go and find out from him or from Babangida. They are both alive.”

He continued, “…But if you touch Gusau, his intelligence chief, invariably, you were going to inch towards the Chief of Army Staff, Babangida. Eventually, he might have been touched. I didn’t know but at that point, it was Aliyu Gusau.

“Yes, we were inching closer. You could say that.

Mr. Buhari’s revelation corroborated Mr. Gusau’s narrative of his military career.

In a bio published on his website, Mr. Gusau said he was Director of Military Intelligence (DMI) from November 1979 to December 1983 and played an important role in the coup that ousted President Shehu Shagari and the corrupt National Party of Nigeria, NPN, from power on 31 December 1983, bringing Mr. Buhari to power.

He said following the coup, he was proposed as overall head of Intelligence, with the support of Babangida, who was then Chief of Army Staff, but that his appointment was opposed by Mr. Buhari.

Click here to read more

Source: #PremiumTimes

general buhari.jpeg

Back