Sports World Cup: Jurgen Klinsmann explains Donovan's exclusion from USA squad

Klinsmann.JPG
Head coach of the United States of America national team, Jurgen Klinsmann, has defended his reason for leaving out the all-time American top scorer, Landon Donovan out of his FIFA World Cup squad, saying the 32-year-old striker was simply not good enough.

The former German international explained that there were other younger players who could perform more than the LA Galaxy player at the world cup.

"The other strikers we see that inch ahead of him," Klinsmann said. "We feel those guys are a little step ahead of Landon in certain areas. That's why we made that decision."

Former Germany coach noted that Donovan's game has evolved as he has grown older with fewer one-on-one attacks and charges into the penalty area. He reflected how players gain experience as they get older but "maybe physically they lose a little bit of an edge".

"He has done an amazing job the last ten days he was here," Klinsmann said. "He has done everything right. It has been not easy. These are very close decisions. It's not a decision against a player, in this case Landon. It's a decision for another player. We coaches had the feeling over the last few days. We had an inkling a little bit. We sensed it was the right time now."

"It's a difficult situation for all of the players coming into a camp. It hangs like a cloud over the group for eight, nine, ten days. If you wait it gets even heavier," he said. "It's a huge boost for everybody in the 23. We can start preparing for the details going into the match with Ghana."

I have to do what I think is the right way. I'm very strongly convinced this is the right way. We'll find out the next seven weeks if it was.

Klinsmann said that if a forward is hurt before the roster is locked into place, he would call on Donovan, who has 57 international goals and sought a fourth World Cup appearance.

"If it's a striker, the first one that I call will be Landon Donovan," Klinsmann said.

Donovan, who has 114 caps, made his only reaction on Facebook, saying, "I was looking forward to playing in Brazil and, as you can imagine, I am very disappointed."

Asked if snubbing Donovan put more pressure on the team to succeed in Brazil, Klinsmann left that for others to judge.

"I have to do what I think is the right way," Klinsmann said. "I'm very strongly convinced this is the right way. We'll find out the next seven weeks if it was" he was quoted as saying on fifa.com

Photo Credit: Wikipedia

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you but if uve noticed, most of these coaches prefers younger and smater players compared to older and experienced legs..... Its all about having a program and executing them. we can prosecute the coaches all we want, they have their game plans

I agree with you but if uve noticed, most of these coaches prefers younger and smater players compared to older and experienced legs..... Its all about having a program and executing them. we can prosecute the coaches all we want, they have their game plans
Be sure that if it backfires,his head will be the one to be called for first. Donovan is just 32 and can offer an experience that 18-year old Julian Green does not have.

Obviously, some coaches will definitely be sacked, regardless of how far they go in the tourney. Guess they shld just give him the breathing space, and if such players are not left behind, when will the youngerr players be allowed to represent their country at the big stage.

Klinsmann shouldn't have left Donovan out for he is arguably the most experienced player in the USA squad.

Sometimmes, you don't need. Experience but determination...... There are players in all the participating countries who are left behind despite having all the experiences required.

Sir, those two players"Gerrard and Lampaard", what did they achieve this season? Nothing...... If the man does not need the man, it takes gut to pick a team for any tournament

Back