Apple, Samsung takes battle to smartwatch

jeff juwana

The race between Samsung and Apple to be recognized as the world’s number one smart device maker has become more intense, as the Korean company prepares to launch a new wearable device, Smartwatch, into the market early next month. Reports indicate that Samsung will launch the “Galaxy Gear” smartwatch in September. In a similar trend, it has been revealed that Apple is set to launch its smartwatch, iwatch, next year.

The ongoing patent law suit between Samsung and Apple Inc. has not hindered the smartphone giants from develloping gadgets that will entice customers. However, customers remain skeptical on whether either company would be able to overcome the challenges, such as battery life, screen size and usability that were previously associated with smartwatches.

With Apple being regarded as a leader in the smartphone market following its launch of iPhone in 2007, Samsung, being a potential ‘first mover’ in the smartwatch market, may seize an advantage over its rival if it can convince consumers on the need and potential of the gadget.

Daniel Kim, an analyst at Macquarie, said that Samsung's smartwatch will "definitely become available in the near future." He further expressed doubts on the success of smartwatches, "I don't think Samsung has high expectations on this one. But just having this kind of thought-provoking product in the market earlier [than competitors] will be good enough, even if it only sells 1m units."

A Samsung executive said earlier this year that it was planning to release a smartwatch, without providing a timetable. Its September launch was earlier reported by Bloomberg. Although it is not clear what the functions of the iWatch will include, the Samsung’s Galaxy Gear is expected to show messages and notifications from a tethered smartphone.

This is brilliant. I don't expect that Samsung will be packing much punch with the Smartwatch idea, but it helps to tame the giant that is Apple.

Samsung probably just wants market share and to keep Apple at bay, and they'll probably feed off each other's technology anyway. I have my reservations about SmartWatch technology. Always seemed so...useless to me. It's an accessory that can be done without, and the current smartwatches are just filled with disappointments, one can only wonder what the point of owning one is.

But then again, I am just a lowly Nigerian who also thinks the iPhone is overpriced.

I just love watching the tech giants rumble. Keep us updated :D:D:D:D:D

Great observation @The_HeadCase.

The current war between Samsung and Apple is absolutely a welcome competition and a healthy one as well. As observers, we are to enjoy the competition while it last.

On the usefulness of the smartwatch, I believe most tech gadgets are not purchased for their functionality, but rather 'tech freaks' buy these gadget for status sake (just my opinion).

Permit me to use your word, 'a lowly Nigerian' as we are, we are to observe and learn from the competition that exist between the world's number 1 and 2 mobile phone giants.

Would keep you posted on this..

Thanks for your comment.

Back