Business Black Friday For Konga Staff As CEO Announces 60% Staff Cuts

• Thread starter nigerianbulletin247
  • Start date
N

nigerianbulletin247

According to Quartz Africa, it is a black Friday for the workforce of one of Nigeria’s biggest e-commerce players, Konga, as cuts its workforce by about 60% (300 members of staff).

Highlights from the Quartz Report:
  • Announcement made by Konga CEO, Shola Adekoya on 30 Nov 2017
  • Speculation that Sim Shagaya could return to CEO role which he left in 2016
  • Nigerians preferred offline offers on Black Friday and went to retailers like Shoprite and Spar
  • Konga has raised over $75 million dollars
  • Active customer base is about 185,000 (approx 1% of Nigeria's population) but investors are still confident that it will reach profitability
  • Konga has approximately 10,000 merchants
  • Change in business model to include Merchant paying to list items on Konga (rental fee)
Konga had not yet responded to Quartz’s email inquiries at the time of publication.

black-friday-2017-1.jpg

Sign up for the Quartz Africa Weekly Brief — the most important and interesting news from across the continent, in your inbox.

via nigeria – Google News http://ift.tt/2AlABbP

Last edited by a moderator:
Active customer base is about 185,000 (approx 1% of Nigeria's population) but investors are still confident that it will reach profitability
I am surprised,just 185k so shocked actually. Are konga and co ever going to be as profitable as amazon etc in nigeria? Whatever business model they use, i iust feel it wont work, the logistics; delivery, rejection, courier and others will aleays be a problem plus nigeriams will never do the pay before delivery. I think they all made a lot of noise at first without focusing on doing d ground work.

I am surprised,just 185k so shocked actually. Are konga and co ever going to be as profitable as amazon etc in nigeria? Whatever business model they use, i iust feel it wont work, the logistics; delivery, rejection, courier and others will aleays be a problem plus nigeriams will never do the pay before delivery. I think they all made a lot of noise at first without focusing on doing d ground work.

Amazon was not profitable for over a decade. Would not recommend it but, the investors believe that Konga is on its way to profitability. They might get there sooner if they succeed with the aggressive cost-cutting and direct revenue drive from merchants.

Back