Sports Blame AFN For Team-Nigeria's Poor Outing In China- Adewale Olukoju

Team Nigeria.jpg
A former Nigerian athlete, Adewale Olukoju has blamed Team Nigeria's poor outing at the just concluded IAAF world championship in China on the Atheletics Federation of Nigeria.

Team Nigeria failed to win a medal at the 2015 edition of the world event and the US-based Nigerian has explaied that AFN lack visionary leaders.

The Olympian, who won four gold medals in discus and shot put events at the All Africa Games, claimed the AFN has no developmental plan for the athletes but organise crash programs when completions come up.

“It’s disappointing how we performed in Beijing but I feel sorry for the athletes, who didn’t have any support from the federation. The AFN is filled with people who are there for themselves and not for the athletes. It’s the same set of people with the same result in the last eight years,” the ex-athlete-turned policeman in the US, said.

“They have occasional coaches who cannot point to any athlete that they have coached but when it’s time to travel, they coach at international events. I feel sorry for the coaches who bring up athletes and are left out when it’s time for international events.

“We don’t have coaches who can start from the foundation. We need coaches that can take the challenge. As an athlete, I was training twice daily, six days a week. But how many coaches have the time for athletes these days?”

The former African champion does not see the trend changing at the 2015 All Africa Games, which begin on Friday in Congo.

“It’s a shame as a nation that we are expecting everything from Blessing Okagbare. It’s the same people going to the All Africa Games. They have 33 women and 30 men but how many women coaches do they have in the team?

“They keep saying there is no money from government, it’s a lie. They can manage what they have and things will be fine.” Punch

Back