Entertainment Bobrisky - An Opportunist or Nigerians Are Plain Intolerant?

A

abujagirl

These past few months, Nigerians on Social media have witnessed the rise and rise of 'male barbie', Okuneye Idris Olanrewaju, popularly known as Bobrisky.

Bobrisky with his bleached skin sneaked into the spotlight through Snapchat where he spends his days bragging about ‘mega rich bae’. From social network, Bobrisky managed to snag interviews with Adesuwa Onyenokwe, Pulse.ng and other Nigerian media houses.

During his interviews, Bobrisky who is a cross dresser came across as simple, shallow and opportunistic. In his first interview with Adesuwa, Bobrisky denied being gay and declared support for the anti-gay law that was passed during the Goodluck Jonathan administration. He also claimed that cross dressing was a way of promoting his bleaching cream business.

Hundreds of Social media users were perturbed after that first interview. ''Did Bobrisky not know that the LGBT community protects cross dressers like himself'' , ''Why throw them under the bus?'', others queried.

The interview threw criticism from Nigerian gay activist, Bisi Alimi who criticized him on Instagram.

''In the interview, he was asked if he is gay, he said no and with no prompting said he supports the anti same sex prohibition law 2013. Dear Bobrisky, I have a message for you. I will be very happy to educate you for free on how your bigoted, hateful comments are putting #LGBT people lives at risk. I will also like to let you know, how making money by making fun of what other people are dying from is no fucking joke. Yes, I will give you and your likes a crash course on decency, human dignity and respect as I can see you lack the fundamentals that makes someone a responsible human being. I will be here if you need me, have a nice day,'' Alimi wrote.

Watch interview with Adesuwa :

Encouraged by the attention he got after that first interview, Bobrisky went on to grant Pulse.ng an exclusive interview. During the second interview, Bobrisky admitted that the much talked bae was a man, leading viewers to deduct that Bobrisky may be gay after all.

Watch Pulse TV interview:

Today, Bobrisky is in the news after Alder consulting announced that Subomi Pluptre, a member of the consulting company's executive community was pulling out of a media conference organized by New Media Citizens and Governance conference in Abuja, after Bobrisky was added to the panel.

See Alder statement and Event flyer with Bobrisky:

alder statement.jpg
bob speak.jpg

There are also reports that Bashir Ahmad has also pulled out the event. Are Nigerian intolerant, does Bobrisky deserve better?

See photos of Bobrisky:

bobrisky.jpg
bobrisky2.jpg

In this context, I see this as intolerant.
Even though he is against the LGBT community, he is not going to the event to touch on that issue. Will they have pulled out of the event if it was to be Alimi? An instance: It is like a Christian General Overseer declining to sit with Imams and Islam clerics on a panel because of difference in their belief. Does not make sense, to me.

Did you guys see the image used in the picture, bobrisky has stated the obvious - hes screwing someone elses husband, hmmm sh..........

In this context, I see this as intolerant.
Even though he is against the LGBT community, he is not going to the event to touch on that issue. Will they have pulled out of the event if it was to be Alimi? An instance: It is like a Christian General Overseer declining to sit with Imams and Islam clerics on a panel because of difference in their belief. Does not make sense, to me.

''The inclusion of Borbrisky unfortunately sensationalizes and radicalizes what should have been a serious discourse on new approaches to media engagement.''

Nowhere did I see sexual orientation or religious orientation as reasons from pulling out of the event @Oluogunjobi

Did you guys see the image used in the picture, bobrisky has stated the obvious - hes screwing someone elses husband, hmmm sh..........
He might not! He might be doing such to seek attention.

Alder shouldn't jeopardize their values and ethical standard because a particular community want to be HAPPY. Good move.

Your business? Just like every any lady screwing someone else's husband. :)

''The inclusion of Borbrisky unfortunately sensationalizes and radicalizes what should have been a serious discourse on new approaches to media engagement.''

Nowhere did I see sexual orientation or religious orientation as reasons from pulling out of the event @Oluogunjobi
It is. Should everything be contained in letters?

Alder shouldn't jeopardize their values and ethical standard because a particular community want to be HAPPY. Good move.
Hm. What's their value? Not of community and inclusion? Well, it's okay to have a particular leaning. :)

Back