Politics Buhari's Anti-corruption War Affects Me Too – Aisha Buhari

P

PressRoom

The wife of Nigeria's President, Mrs. Aisha Buhari, has said that the anti-corruption stand of the family does not give room for her to receive gifts from people.

She said those who brought gift items during the 2015 presidential election, were asked to print the All Progressives Congress’ logo on them. Mrs Buhari made the disclosure during the flag-off of the Women Against Corruption in Abuja.

This followed after the Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mr. Ibrahim Magu, charged women to take up the fight against corruption, to make the society better.

Speaking at the event, Buhari said: “We are all aware that before the swearing-in, we passed through the campaign session in which me and my sister, the wife of the Vice-President, Mrs Dolapo Osinbajo, who is known as a pastor and myself as a Sunni Mallama, we have never ever collected a single penny from our supporters or from donors in the name of campaign.

“We rather asked them at that time to go and print the logo of APC on top of items and bring them in large quantities instead of buying one lace that was worth N100,000 or N200,000 to be given to us to use personally.

That is the beginning of the fight against corruption. “I know the type of husband that I have and I stood firm to maintain the integrity and the name of the family going. And up to today, I don’t receive gifts.

“Right from the day we won the election, people have been trooping in with gifts but I have never collected the gifts and up till today I am not ready to do that.”

Attachments

• aisha buhari.jpg
    aisha buhari.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 12
Back