Sports Cristiano Ronaldo eager to break Champions League record before Lionel Messi

Real Madrid forward, Cristiano Ronaldo has expressed confidence that he will beat Barcelona's Lionel Messi to breaking the Champions League goal-scoring record.

Ronaldo netted his side's opening goal in their 3-0 victory over Liverpool on Wednesday, taking his tally to 70 in the competition and he is now just a goal shy of Raul’s all-time record of 71.

Lionel Messi is currently third on 69 goals, just two shy of equalling the record and well in place to even achieve the milestone before Ronaldo.

But the Portuguese was unperturbed, however he was upbeat that he will break the Raul's long-standing record.

Speaking to Sky Sports after the game, Ronaldo said: "I am not worried about that. I know I'm going to beat the record, if not tonight then some other game. Messi is very close too."

The former Manchester United star acknowledged the individual prize on offer, admitting it was "an indication of hard work" but was happy to focus on the team's impressive progress.

He added: "It's a team game. We have nine points, 75 per cent of the qualification is done.

"It was special, my first goal here at Anfield and I feel very proud for that. We got the three points, it was amazing.

"We knew before the game that Liverpool at Anfield is difficult but we played fantastic, especially in the first 45 minutes and we deserved to win."

"We are taking it step by step. We are going to try like last year. We know it's going to be very tough. We are positive and know it will be possible if we play like that."

SPX-031940.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back