Politics Drama at Senate as Sen. Ogbuoji Recants His Defection to APC

L

LequteMan

There was a lot of drama at the Senate plenary on Wednesday when Senator Sunday Ogbuoji rescinded an earlier decision to defect from the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, to the All Progressives Congress, APC.

At the commencement of the day’s legislative business, he announced his defection, causing an uproar in the chamber.

“From my state, Ebonyi, to the national level, there is crisis in the PDP. I can no longer continue to be a member of that party. I am, therefore, announcing my defection to the APC, “ he said.

As he spoke, Minority Leader, Godswill Akpabio, pulled at the letter he read and urged him to sit down, although jocularly.

Other PDP senators rushed to Ogbuoji’s side, to persuade him to rescind his decision.

The raucous couldn't be brought under control for the next ten minutes.

While APC members made attempts to usher Ogbuoji to their side of the chamber, PDP senators protested vehemently.

Senator Ben Murray-Bruce eventually intervened and convinced Ogbuoji to jettison his defection and allow the PDP caucus intervene on the crisis in the state.

After the mild drama, Ogbuoji, recanted.

“After a brief talk with my colleagues, I have decided to put my defection on hold. I will make more consultations with my people and the leadership of the party. For now, I withdraw my plans to defect to the APC,” Ogbuoji said.

Ogbuoji who represents Ebonyi South, had earlier announced his defection to the APC in December 2017.

Attachments

• Sen.-Sunday-Ogbuoji.jpg
    Sen.-Sunday-Ogbuoji.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 7
Back